Volcano to Sea Project.
Our Auckland office forms the base for delivery of the Volcano to Sea project - a three year catchment management project funded by the Ministry for the Environment and delivered by Trudy Rankin, NZ Landcare Trust Project Coordinator. A celebration launch is planned for Friday 8 March 2013 - see bottom of this page.
The aim of Volcano to Sea is to develop a new, innovative catchment scale initiative in Auckland which links communities, remnant natural features and the sea. Volcano to Sea will capture the imagination of schools and community members, harnessing their enthusiasm to make positive changes in their local environment.
The catchment is located in the culturally diverse Howick ward of Auckland City. Pigeon Mountain / O Huiarangi, a dormant volcano, lies at the head of the catchment. The Whakaaranga creek and Pakuranga stream are the main catchment waterways, both of which run into the Tamaki River. A Community Urban Restoration and Education Plan, developed by the project, will enable key learnings and processes to be applied to other urban catchments around New Zealand.
Key objectives of Volcano to Sea are:
- Encourage stewardship of the environment by schools and the local community
- Enhance local biodiversity, contribute towards improved water quality in the area and embrace iwi cultural values
- Support and strengthen collaboration between schools, communities, project partners and iwi
- Develop resources focussing on ecological restoration and catchment management
- Enable schools and community members to collect scientific data and share their results with the wider community
- Develop an educational programme to facilitate learning about the catchment and associated area ecology, socio-cultural values and restoration processes.
If you would like to know more about the project simply contact Trudy:
- tel - 09 638 3934
- email - firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also like to join the Volcano to Sea Facebook community. Our Facebook page contains additional information about our events and the very latest comments from the local community.
'Like' our page and recieve the latest information as it becomes available... more>
Project Launch Celebration - 8 March 2013
The local community turned out in good numbers to support the launch of the Volcano to Sea project on Friday 8th March, with approximately 350 local people joining the celebrations at Pigeon Mt Ohuiarangi in Auckland. Food and entertainment played an important role helping ensure everyone had a great time. The excellent turn-out bodes well for the project, which has an emphasis on encouraging local people to get involved in the delivery of an environmental restoration project in the heart of Auckland... more>